Jerry lee lewis - young blood
Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Young Blood - Jerry Lee Lewis on AllMusic - 1995 - Jerry Lee Lewis made a comeback effort in 1995 ...
Jerry Lee Lewis made a comeback effort in 1995 with Young Blood . Although the Killer's performance is impressive -- his voice continues to weather well with age and he hasn't lost much of his instrumental prowess -- the selection of material is fairly uninspired and predictable. This wouldn't have been a problem if Jerry Lee was allowed to work with a top-notch backing band, elevating the pedestrian material to a new level. Instead, Young Blood was made like most albums in the mid-'90s -- each song was constructed track-by-track, with the musicians laying down their parts at different times. Consequently, the record is stripped of most of its potential power, leaving behind a well-produced but thoroughly unengaging album.
There's a whole lotta Jerry Lee Lewis news goin' on today.
First, a new book about his life, Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story , just went on sale. It's by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Rick Bragg, and USA TODAY's Brian Mansfield gives it four stars (out of four) .
Also out today: Rock & Roll Time, Lewis' first new album since 2010. It features contributions from Keith Richards, Neil Young, Robbie Robertson and many more .
And now, via Cuepoint, comes fascinating insight into the relationship that pretty much destroyed Lewis' career -- his 1958 marriage to his 13-year-old third cousin, Myra Gale Brown. Today, she's known as Myra Williams, and she's a real-estate broker in Atlanta.
"They were looking for a place to stick the knife into rock & roll. And Jerry gave it to them—well, I did, I opened my mouth. That’s exactly what it was." -- Myra Williams
The shocking marriage was revealed during what was supposed to be a triumphant concert tour of England. (The fact that The Killer was still married to another woman also came to light at that time.) The British tabloids ripped Lewis to shreds, and his career "took a nosedive right into the concrete," as Williams tells music journalist Alan Light . But that adversity also strengthened their relationship, she says:
"It was something that marked Jerry for life. We kept thinking every year, every six months, that it was going to go away, they’re going to stop talking about it, and it just didn’t happen. But it brought me and Jerry very close, and we had ten incredible, wonderful years together after that."
Williams and Lewis eventually divorced in 1970.
- Aerial M - October
- Natalie Merchant - The House Carpenter's Daughter
- DawnRider - Fate Is Calling (Pt 1)
- The Dirtbombs - Ode To A Black Man
- Big Money J - Rolex Life Style
- DJ Embee* Embee·Feat Nina Ramsby - Desire To Be Free
- Peter Koelewijn En MC Miker G. & DJ Sven* Miker-G & DJ Sven - Kom Van Dat Dak Af
- Eric Burdon - Sixteen Tons
- Gazzara - Sexuality
- Sludge, The* ☆Sludge, The - ザ☆スラッヂ / S59
- Various - House Hits For Kids
- Sexicolor / Twenty Four Hours - Split EP
- The Riot Squad - Another Heartbreak
- Various - Friendly People Making Noise
- Various - 100% Volume No. 164
- MC Hammer* Hammer - Hammerin' Home - The Legit Hits
- System 6 Southside / John Paul - Turbulence / Perfect Motion
- Bonnie Raitt - Feeling Of Falling / You Got It
- CLSM - Rock Your Body (Vandall's 160 Mix)
- The Remote Viewer - Quiet Is The New Loud